Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I am an American...

“I am an American fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give me life in their defense.” - Article I of the Code of Conduct for the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

I was able to type the above quote from memory - no Googling. I must have said it over a thousand times during my fourth class year at the United States Air Force Academy. I said it and I meant it. I was prepared to give my life for my country. I named my son, in part, after my paternal grandfather who risked his life to come here. He never achieved financial success, but believed in the opportunity that allowed his children to succeed. I am only the second generation born here and I can’t speak a word of Russian because my grandfather saw himself as an American and detested his native country.

The last ten years have not been good ones in American history. Two large scale financial bubbles, a two front foreign war, alienation in the global community, and a general feeling of malaise has taken a grip on this country. I still believe in my country. I still think that, as Americans, there are things we do very well. However, I am interested in alternatives.

Before I moved to Seattle, I identified myself as a Republican. Today, I consider myself a right-of-center independent. Where I once questioned every government service, there is nothing like receiving government assistance to make you change your mind. I have witnessed first hand the affect of the Right Start program on my son, Carson, and am a staunch defender of it.

I once would have thought that socialized medicine would be the end of civilization as we know it. Now, I am an honestly curious to see how it works. Will it offer the same level of service I am accustomed to? Will it cost more than I’m used to paying? There is a part of me that is starting to think that healthcare is kind of like the roads. We all use it. We should all pitch in. Some will use it more than others, but really, who would choose to have cancer just because they get free chemo?

As a society, I can think of a lot of benefits of decoupling health insurance from employment. I think too many would be entrepreneurs are filled with defeatism that they need “good benefits” for their families. Generation Y is effectively being paid less because they are subsidizing my generation’s use of health insurance. Good, smart people are paralyzed in their jobs because they have been programmed to believe that their company’s benefits are superior. If everyone had the same healthcare; the employment focus would be back to compensation and culture. The fear of moving would be removed.

I have absolutely no idea what the next few years will bring. I don’t know whether I’ll love Oz or hate it (I’m guessing I’ll love it and consider it a second home), but I do plan on coming back to the States one day. I do know that my mind is more open than it’s ever been and I am ready to take a look at a different culture with different values and I will be able to admit if some things actually work better.

No comments:

Post a Comment